Friday 14 September 2007

My old friend 'Workflow'

I read today that Error correction support ended for Oracle Workflow last week. (http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/workflow/workflow_sod.html)

I've been on a number of projects that attempted to use workflow technology in unique ways.

I remember 7 or 8 years ago and before the Oracle Teleservice application was available, I was the Workflow Lead on a project for a large Health Insurance company in California. We were integrating their Customer service application with the Oracle Advance Benefits module using Oracle Workflow and Advanced Queuing.

Today, the SOA suite and BPEL are perfect fits for this requirement but at that time, Oracle Workflow was all we had!

We were lucky that there was a Cheesecake Factory very close to the office in Woodland Hills. I remember fondly the long nights spent there discussing the solution design, intricate workflow processes and of course, eating cheesecake.

So tonight, I'll raise my glass for the end of my old friend 'Workflow'. Now, if only we could get a Cheesecake Factory franchise in London...

No comments: